500g diced beef shin
Cooking oil spray
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp tomato puree
200g celery, diced
250g carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
250g onions, peeled and quartered
1/2 litre beef stock
Salt & pepper to taste
Garlic salt to taste
- Turn your slow cooker on a low setting
- Spray a large frying pan with your cooking oil spray, and turn up the heat to high. Once the pan is hot, add the beef shin and seal the meat on all sides. Once browned, remove the meat and place in the slow cooker.
- Lightly brown the celery, then the onions, then the carrots in the frying pan, and place each in the slow cooker with the meat.
- Add the tomato puree and the stock to the slow cooker. Add salt and pepper, and garlic salt to your taste.
- Stir in the flour.
- Put the lid on, and cook on low for at least 5 hours, or until the meat is really soft and tender. Stir it occasionally too.
This is a really great adaptable recipe – you can put your own spin on it however you like. This is a really good base recipe which serves 2 (with leftovers!)